Monday, September 30, 2013

Water storage- How much water do I need?

      Every year, My church organizes a "Provident Living Expo". It's an event meant to help families in my area prepare for emergencies. Three years ago, I was asked to put together a booth on water storage.
     At the time, there were several wildfires sweeping through the area, cutting off freeway travel and burning down homes. To top it off, the state was also in a severe drought. In fact it was so bad that Governor Rick Perry organized a statewide fast to pray for rain. I'll admit, people were a little more concerned about water storage then.
     I put together a pamphlet covering all the basics on water storage and passed it out at my booth. I guess I did an okay job because I've been asked to run the same booth for three years in a row. As the expo just came to a close this year, I thought "Hey! This would be a great blog series." So, if you're looking for where to begin when it comes to water storage, you're in the right place. And don't worry--- I'll keep it simple! First up...

How much water do I need?
The red cross recommends that you store 2 weeks worth of water for your family.

You'll need 1 gallon of water per day, per person.
So, to figure out how much you need, here is a handy dandy family worksheet! Print it out, and stick it somewhere to remind you to get it done!





One gallon per person will be enough for drinking and food preparation.  

If you want water for personal hygiene purposes or pets, you'll need to add additional storage. (You can cut down on water needs by storing baby wipes. That way you can give yourself sponge baths instead of having to store large amounts of water.)

One of the most important things about water storage is, if supplies run low, never ration water.  Drink the amount you need today, and try to find more for tomorrow.  Minimize the amount of water your body needs by reducing activity and staying cool.

I hope this motivates you to get started in your emergency preparedness. Just take it one step at a time, and before you know it, you'll be ready for whatever may come!

No comments:

Post a Comment